Monday, February 20, 2006

Help Me Dear, Dear Readers

We need your help. Unfortunately we had to cancel our trip to Seattle this June b/c of cost. We weren't able to get the timeshare like we thought and between hotel, flights, car, etc. it was just going to be way out of our budget to go. Sooo.... when my in-laws were over last weekend they told us about these 3 day, 2 night trips they had and they said we could use. We thought we'd pick something w/in driving distance and plan to go sometime this fall. Unfortunately we don't have lot of choices, but we've narrowed it down to 2. Actually there are really only 3 w/in driving distance. :D

Gatlinburg, TN or Branson, MO

I wasn't thrilled with the idea of Branson at first, but after doing some research, here's what I've come up with on "Things to do...

Gatlinburg, TN
*Smokey Mountains (obviously)
*Museums (Ripley's, Guinness Book of Records, etc.)
*Cade's Cove
*Sky Lift
*Winery

Branson, MO
*Ozarks (plane, helicopter, boat)
*Outlet Mall
*Silver Dollar City
*Winery
*Inspiration Tower
*Museums (Ripleys, etc)
*Caverns & Caves

I wasn't as into Branson at first b/c we just aren't into the "shows" they offer, but after checking out other things it might not be such a bad deal.

So, I need your help! If you've been there (to either) tell me what you love and hate, recommend and don't recommend, must sees and skips! You get the idea. I have been to Gaitlinburg when I was young and I know it would be fun. My family has been to Branson, but they go for the "shows", so I'm not as inclined to ask them about things to do/see. Although I will after we've done all our research and you've told me all you know!

Thanks so much for your help if you can offer it. It's greatly appreciated!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never been to either, and really don't know much about either. But of course, I have an opinion! From what I hear, you might lower the median age in Branson by fourty years. Seems like an older people kind of place to go. But whatever, vacation is vacation!!! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I've been to Branson and actually, i'ts not that bad. I went with Nikki (from high school) a while ago. We went to the shows and they actually were very interesting...depending on which one you go to. We did some shopping which was fun and stayed at Tablerock Lake. I wouldn't mind going back, but it just depends on what kind of thing you guys are into. I really enjoyed it. I think it was probably 7 years ago when we went, so it's been a while.

Twisted Ovaries said...

I've been to Branson, too. To be honest, the Mississippi? Kinda pretty, actually. And it's nice to be in Mark Twain territory, as you can go to his original house, etc. You're also not too far from St. Louis and can go up in that strange rainbow-like bridge there.

Anonymous said...

if you like being outside i would go to gatlinburg. stay clear of the stip unless you want to play put put or get an airbrushed t-shirt. but there are some really great hikes once you get through all the mess. it shouldn't be too bad right now b/c it's not football season, but the traffic through piegon forge/gatlinburg can be messy. rest assured, there's wilderness on the other side (and a mount named mount leCont, which is just funny). have a good time whatever you decide