Tuesday, July 13, 2004

"Fertility is a Gift, not a Given"

I came across this quote last night while reading an article in Good Housekeeping about stars who had IVF. I think one of the Dixie Chics said it. Anyway, it hit home with me. I always assumed that as soon as I started trying, I would get pregnant. In fact, I figured it'd happen when I wasn't even trying. Seems like that is what happened to everyyone else in my family. It never even occurred to me that I'd actually have to "Try to Conceive". I guess I sorta took that for granted. Now that I have been trying for some time, it has brought me to a whole new level. I truly agree that fertility is a gift now. We have only been trying for one year and there are so many people that have been trying much longer. My doc did say that it could take up to a year to get "regular" again b/c of BC and being on it for many years.

I've been thinking on the "next steps" to take if I'm not pregnant this month as it will be 1 full year (12 cycles) of trying. Honestly, right now I think we'll give it a few more months (maybe 6). Depending on what happens with Eric's job, too. Right now his insurance doesn't cover IVF. If I'm still not pregnant by the end of the year then I'll switch insurance to my company, which I know pays for that sort of thing. I'm mixed on clomid b/c I know I'm ovulating.

Anyway, just thought I'd give you an update on how I'm feeling right now. I talked to my friend J yesterday and realized that I really hadn't expressed my feelings lately, so now you know...

3 comments:

Kitten said...

http://www.ihr.com/infertility/tour.html

I was looking online for you for any resources that can help you figure out the next step. This website seemed to have some information.

Whatever you decide, we'll be here, always.

Jennifer said...

It seems like "next steps" could be hard. I'm still hoping you don't have to take those steps. We'll be here for you no matter what.

By the way, I agree about Clomid, it seems like your ovulating so what's the point? Does your insurance cover IUI? It seems like that would probably be the first "procedure" you'd do.

Lisa said...

I never thought I'd have any trouble conceiving either. No one in my family ever had problems. I thought it was a given: get off BCP, have sex, make baby! I'm in my 11th cycle right now (1 full year for me) & like you, I don't know what the next step is going to be. I've definitely learned "Fertility is a gift, not a given." I wonder if women who have no trouble conceiving realize that? Oh, and about the Clomid... I am hesitant to try it as well since I'm ovulating normally. My doctor hasn't even suggested it yet. Has yours?