Thursday, February 24, 2005

Dreadful Dentist

So last Friday I had a dentist appointment. The good news was I had NO cavities. The bad news was I brush my teeth too hard and have gum recession on both sides (upper), so they advised me to see a periodontist. Monday morning they called and had made me an appointment for today, Thursday. I knew my right side was the worst b/c I have a lot of sensitivity in it. Yep, he agreed that both sides were bad and I needed a gum graft. Basically they take tissue from either the roof of your mouth or a tissue bank and stitch it to your current gum and then it grows together and voila, no more recession. It is done in about 1 1/2 hours w/ local anesthetics in their office. We knew it was crucial that I get the right side done first and soon b/c I don't hardly even eat on that side now. So here's where the shit hit the fan or the wallet. Yep, that is not expensive to say the least. Our insurance covers 50% up to $1000. I won't go into details here, but that just royally screwed our budget! So I am scheduled to go in March 18 to get the right side done. We'll decide then when to get the other side done especially since it isn't bothering me and you can't see it. We might just wait til next year to take advantage of that "50% up to $1000.

On a side note, we got to thinking tonight about IU Medical and School of Dentistry, so I"m going to do some research tomorrow and see what I can find out about that. And may make an appointment to go down there and have it done. It's worth it if it saves us a bunch of money! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

That sucks! I wonder why insurance never seems to pay as much for dental procedures as medical ones. Teeth are important too!

Kitten said...

Dang! I forgot to mention check out a school of denistry! Definately do that!