Monday, February 07, 2005

Vacation

I'm finally back from vacation. It was an enjoyable time, but I was ready to get back home. I got in to Orlando about 2:20 on Thursday and met my grandparents. I was beat from the trip so we headed back to my grandparents for a nice home cooked meal and relaxed the rest of the evening.

Friday we got up early, got ready and headed north about an hour and a half to see my great aunt and uncle who I barely see once a year. It was so nice to see them. We visited with them then had lunch and headed back. We got back around dinner time, had a light dinner and fresh strawberries again and spent the rest of the evening relaxing again.

Saturday morning we got up fairly early again and headed south about 2 hours to see all the hurricane damage in Punta Gorda. The hurricanes were in August and you can't believe how much devastation is still visible. It was horrible. It left a bad feeling in your gut and a lump in your throat. My grandparents had spent some time down there several times, so we drove by some places where they had spent some time. Many places were either gone or damaged in some way or another. I took a few pics so I'll try to post them later this week. (We didn't get them downloaded last night b/c I got in late and made it just in time to watch the super bowl). Anyway we also stopped at this place called Fisherman's Village and it reminded me a lot of Navy Pier in Chicago. You walked out sorta on a pier and there were quaint little shops all along. It was nice, but expensive, too. After seeing a lot of the devastation, we decided to go to Lake Okachobee (sp?) and check on some people they knew over there, too. There wasn't as much devastation, but still a lot of damage. We got back and had dinner at Red Lobster and got back home around 8:30. I got everything packed up and ready to head to the airport in the morning.

Yesterday morning I got up and was sick. I felt horrible all day. My grandparents took me to the airport and we had breakfast there, then I headed to my gate to sit and wait. You can imagine I just wanted to curl up in a ball, take some meds and sleep. Overall the flights were not bad except for my final flight from Chicago to Indy. It was horrible. It was the smallest plane around and I was in the last seat at the back of the plane. I actually decided early that it was a good thing b/c the bathroom was directly across from me and several times I thought I might lean over and barf. But I didn't. We made it home in time to unpack and watch the super bowl. I made it until half time then headed to bed.

This morning we thought the house was exploding at about 5:30. Apparently a transformer blew and the power surged 3 times before staying out. I just went back to sleep and it came on about 7:15. Needless to say I still felt horrible and didn't mind sleeping in at all. I feel a little better now.

No comments: