Thursday, January 26, 2006

School

It just occurred to me this week that I have completely let you in the dark about my returning to school. OK, so the plan was to go back to school for radiology. At first I was thinking full blown radiologist, but after some research decided rad. tech. was better. I had tried e-mailing 2 advisors and didn't get a respone, so I decided to just go ahead and pay my $30 app fee and apply to school. Plus it was getting close to Jan and I wanted to start this Spring. About a week later I finally got an e-mail back and set up an appointment to meet with an advisor. In a nutshell their website is S-T-U-P-I-D and they do not offer a degree in rad. tech. Apparently a lot of people think they do. My response, "Well, I work for a department on campus and this would stike me as something that needs to be fixed." Apparently they like the confusion, b/c its still misleading. One option I did have was to be a med tech, but my MIL inlaw did that for several years and after talking to her I realized that was not what I wanted to do either. So I basically wasted $30 b/c people like to mislead you on their website and/or not meet with you until AFTER you have applied and wasted your money.

So now where am I?

Well, I love being outside. I love doing all things outside. A few years ago I even thought about opening my own landscaping business. I've even thought about opening a greenhouse. So I've decided to join this Master*Garden program. It is going to allow me to increase my knowledge in several different horitculture areas. I would attend a series of classes weekly last 3-4 hours. After completing those classes and getting a 70% I would become an intern. While an intern I would be doing some voluneer work. Eventually I would become certified and would be able to educate others in the program. The bad thing is the guy I've been in contact with (or not) doesn't respond to e-mails very well. I finally got a short reply after 3 weeks telling me he'd send me information and that he'd add my name on the waiting list. I have no idea when this will start, where I'm at on the waiting list, anything. It's really frustrating. Eric asked me if it was worth it and to me it is.

Another idea if I don't get in this spring would be to talk to a greenhouse near our house. I could see if they would be willing to hire me for a couple days a week. If all else fails I could ask them if I could volunteer (although I'd like to get a little $$) so I can start gaining some knowledge.

So that's about all I know right now. I'm just hanging out on the waiting list for the time being...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your school stuff. I am currently enrolled to completemy HR degree online and can't wait to get started, but there are so many delays. I'd love to see photos of your garden :)
I'm TTC too! I'm thinking baby thoughts for you :)

cat said...

Cool a Master Gardening Program. Sounds like a dream come true. Would love to see garden photos too. Good luck hope you get into that program.

Maybe you can butter the guy up with a plant ? :)