Friday, May 12, 2006

Rubbing salt in my wounds...

I've been a bad blogger. Since we got the good news and since starting my new job I haven't had the time or even the desire to post. I've thought about it multiple times, but then either get busy or don't know what to say... Thank you all so much for checking in on me. I greatly appreciate it. I'm hurting, I'm angry, I'm numb. I just feel so lost. I haven't started my period. That is what upsets me the most b/c it's just like a horrible tease.

Yesterday we had our post-cycle appointment with Dr. B. We got there and G called us back and said that Dr. B was way behind and we were going to have to reschedule b/c he had a surgery at 11:00. (Our appt was supposed to be at 10:30) I stood there in shock. Eric asked if we would get information about our 4 cryo'd embryos and she said that we would get all that in our post-cycle appt. She went back to see if she could reschedule us and I just stood there, numb. Then it occurred to me I needed to let them know I hadn't started my period. As soon as she came back I told her and lost it. She hugged me and was understanding. She said it takes 60-90 days for my cycle to get back to normal and if this was normal for me. I said no, that I was very regular. I was pretty much sobbing at this point. She said to follow her and she wrote us out a Rx for a beta (that hurt the worst) b/c of the med she then gave me to induce my period.

She said we could sneak out the back and call later to reschedule, but I sucked it up and said it was ok, we'll just reschedule for next week. She told us to wait and she'd go over a chart a little bit with us. I think she could tell we were dying inside...

They cryo'd 4 embryos, which we know. There are three stages where they cryo... I can't remember the names. Stage 2 was something like cleavage (what I heard) or cleaved (what Eric heard) and Stage 3 is balast (heard that one before). They cryo'd ours at Stage 2. This is good. They cryo them in "straws". Our were cryo'd 2-1-1, so 2 in one straw and the other 2 each in individual straws. Success of them surviving the unfreezing is somewhere between 60-70%. Don't know the percentage of getting pregnant w/ FET, but it's less than IVF.

For the FET, they basically give you meds (similar to clomid), but injectible for 5-7 days, then check your lining and 5 days later transfer. Then some progesterone, just for additional support. Have no idea on $$ though. Very easy cycle though. We told her we would be doing that later this fall in the Sept-Oct timeframe.

We rescheduled our appointment for May 24th.

Today we are leaving for Wisconsin for a vacation with my inlaws, SIL & BIL. It should be fun except it's supposed to be cold and raining. We'll still have a good time though. I'll be back to somewhat regular posting next week.

6 comments:

cat said...

So sorry the appointment was rescheduled and you had to be faced with revisiting all this pain and disappointment again. It's never easy but having to deal with it in a doctors office is just plain crappy. *hugs*

Thinking of you and wishing a better weekend.

soralis said...

Sorry about the cancelled appointment, how frustrating.

I am wishing you the very best with your FET and hope that it does the trick. I was once told by my clinic that some women respond better to the frozen cycle as it is a little easier on the body. That comment gave me a little strength to carry on after my failed fresh cycle.

I wish you the best, take care.

x said...

That appointment sounds very upsetting. I cannot tolerate any additional disappointment. I am still very angry too, it is difficult to get over a negative on the first cycle.

My clinic does both medicated and unmedicated frozen cycles but no injectables? Things vary so much from the US to Canada.
Here the success rate for an FET is half of an IVF. I am not sure if it differs in the US.

I hope you have a great weekend, it's good to get some time away.
p.s. - how is the tattoo healing?

YouGuysKnow said...

happy to see you post, Mrs T - i'v been checking in on you. i'm sorry your appointment was messed up. but am glad that you've got those freezies. that is a good thing, even if it doesn't feel so great right now. hang in there and heal gently. hugs

Milenka said...

*hugs* I was thrilled to see something from you, sweetie. I'm so sorry that everything is not going right at this time. You guys are in my thoughts.

Mel said...

It is amazing how doctors offices can make your life so inconvenient. I am glad that the nurse was so considerate.

I have a doctor that truly believes that frozen embryos have pretty good success rates. I had to have all of my embryos frozen due to OHSS. I implanted 1 blast and got pregnant. I am now on my second attempt and they implanted 2 3-day olds, and I am pregnant again, for now. So FET DOES work.