Thursday, July 28, 2005

Donate Life


organ_donor_logo
Originally uploaded by Mrs-T.

My brother lost his life, but gave life to others. He was an organ donor. He was able to donate his liver, kidneys, pancreas, tissue, heart valves, arteries and veins. Unfortunately he wasn't able to donate the huge wonderful heart he had, but he still donated a lot. A cousin of ours brought this box to the funeral that contained pins, wristbands, and magnets for organ donation and I think everyone realized that Matt still impacted so many lives even after he lost his own life. I put everything in a box after we got home from the funeral b/c it was just to hard on me. Yesterday I decided to get my wristband out and I now wear it proudly. It helps ease my pain a bit, too b/c Matt is always with me now. I can touch my wristband and I can look down and think of him every time I notice my bracelet. I have always been pro-organ donation. I realized the night they said Matt wasn't going to make it just how hard it was on my mom to make that decision. I think after she realized what Matt could give to other people and that he would still be "out there" it really helped. There was a lady, Joy, that worked with the family all night and day. She was the most wonderful lady around. She really helped ease some of our pain, too. Yes, she was there for the organ donation cause, but she was also there just for us and didn't push anything on us. She gave my mom a memory box about organ donation and a medal of organ donation. They send you information on the donor recipients. Not their names of course, but basic information on them. They send you grieving brochures and other letters. There is an organ donation memorial in the spring every year and a quilt w/ a square for each donor. It is just an all around wonderful thing.

Thank you for all of your thoughts, prayers and general comments. It really means a lot. I'm still in a lot of pain and will be for quite some time. I haven't fully broke down yet, but feel it coming. I still feel so numb and in shock.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Organ donation means a lot to me as well. I am listed as an organ donor and my family knows that if something were to happen to me, that those are my wishes.

My mother is an organ recipient. She had a liver transplant 5 years ago and had to be on a waiting list for 5 years before she could get the transplant. Those who donate their organs are certainly in my higest respect because they saved my mother's life.