Monday, November 08, 2004

O What a Night

I tried posting this on my blog, but blogger is having problems this morning, so I thought I'd just send it out in an e-mail for the time being. Little laugh to start your day.

Yesterday right before lunch, Patty from the Lab Rescue called and said she had another lady coming to get a Lab either Friday or Saturday and wanted to know if we minded if she sent the pup with her so we wouldn't have to make the long drive. Eric said sure. I was sad b/c of course he'd get to see her and play with her before I would and we were supposed to get her together. Plus my in-laws are coming over on Saturday so even they would see her before I would. I got over it though and went about my day. We decided since we weren't sure when we were getting her on Friday or Saturday we had better get her some stuff, so we headed to Pet Smart after work. We got her a cage, puppy food, 2 bowls, collar, leash and 1 toy. We also got this bitter spray in case she is a chewer. Eric tried to call Patty and find out what they were feeding her now, but she didn't answer, so we went ahead and bought Science diet, which is what our dogs eat now. So when we got home we set the cage up and did some rearranging and I packed. We then set down at 8:00 to watch Survivor.

At about 8:15 we get a call....

It's the lady who was coming to Lafayette and she had the pup. All I heard was "Sure we can get it tonight". I jumped up and put clothes on and Eric kept motioning me to sit down or something. I couldn't figure it out. Then I heard, "Okay, so about 10:30". Yikes!!! Anyone who knows me knows I go to bed between 9-10 every night. So that was it. I had to wait almost 2 hours before we could head over to pick up our new puppy.
I tried watching the rest of survivor, but of course couldn't. I called Peg (my step-mom) and talked to her for a while, then I called my Nanny.
She told me she had my pants hemmed for me and they thought they would come up last night, but decided against it. I told her that was ok, that they could just come up next week and see our new puppy anyway. They of course couldn't believe we were getting another dog, especially another big one. I talked to her for a bit then let her go. By this time it was 9:45. I put my shoes on and waited, waited, waited, waited. That was a long 20 minutes let me tell ya!

So we left shortly after 10 and headed to the house we were going to pick her up at. We got there about 10:20 and they weren't back yet, so we drove around the big block and ended up pulling in right behind them.
She was just as cute as I could have ever imagined. I really think she has part frog in her b/c she just kept hopping everywhere. It was so funny. We signed our adoption papers and paid and chatted with the people a little then headed home. Unfortunately Patty had been gone most of the day and didn't get a chance to bathe her before the other picked her up so she was a bit stinking, but that was ok. I made the mistake of letting Eric drive home and I tried to hold her the whole way home. She was all over the place. The bad thing was we had already packed up the car for the trip to Ohio, so we couldn't even let her run around. Oh, we named her Godiva. Yes, like Godiva chocolates.

FINALLY we got home and introduced her to our other dogs. Of course it's going to take a while for them to warm up to her. Our other part lab is scared to death of her and runs from her. Our Shepard, Husky, wolf mix is scared of her, too, but of course Godiva just jumps around and runs after them, so I can't blame them.

We didn't have a very good night last night of course. I tried to go to bed by midnight. We tried just putting her in her cage (she is somewhat cage broken), just knowing the other dogs were out, she was p*ssed.
Finally Eric took her out and he ended up sleeping with her in the dogs room, while the big dogs slept with me. Neither one of us slept well, Eric I'm sure less than me. I tossed and turned all night and finally got about shortly after 5 and got ready. Eric came in about 6:30 and we spent about 45 minutes just playing with the pup and dogs and stuff. So far she's good about pottying outside. She had some split second tinkle accidents last night. This morning after I was at work, Eric let the big dogs out to go #2 and he kept telling them to poop. Well, he turned around just in time to see Godiva squat and start to poop in the living room, too. She had just went about 30 minutes before, too. He will have an interesting weekend with all the dogs I'm sure.

This is going to be sorta scary for me, too b/c I've never had a pup to raise. I'll try to post pics either Sunday or early next week. She'll make you melt, that's for sure!


Editor's Note: This was supposed to be published Friday, but I couldn't get into blogger for whatever reason

No comments: