Monday, November 29, 2004

Turkey Update

I tried updating yesterday, but was having problems with blogger. Sorry for the delay.

Anyway, Thursday when we got up we started cleaning the house. We did some pretty extensive cleaning, too. Not that our house is super dirty or anything, but it needed some detailed cleaning. After the cleaning we had a pretty relaxing, lazy day. Surprisingly we didn't ahve a single dinner on Thanksgiving day!

Friday we decided to go ahead and go to my mom's side's dinner which was good. We tried telling them we couldn't stay long b/c of the puppy so when we got ready to leave everyone convinced us to just go home and get the puppy and bring her back, so we obliged. Godiva did pretty well in the car and didn't have one accident at my aunt's house either thank goodness. It's always nice seeing everyone. We had good eats, played some cards and just caught up on everyone's lives. We were exhausted when we got home and I headed to bed.

Apparently w/ all the excitement Godiva was exhausted, too b/c she actually slept through the whole night and didn't get up til 6 which was when I had planned on getting up anyway. I laid in bed til about 6:30 then headed to the kitchen to prepare "THE MEAL". I started getting the turkey ready and Eric helped me get it into the bag, but unfortunately it went through the other end so Eric had to make a run to the grocery store to get another bag. The turkey ended up being done by 11:00 and our dinner wasn't until 2:00 so it was a little cool by the time we ate, but o'well. Everthing else went pretty smoothly. Everyone enjoyed each other's company and the dogs were good, too. We cleaned up after everyone left and pretty much crashed.

("Oh, whatever" in valley girl voice)
I thought you might get a kick out of this tidbit. Saturday during our dinner w/ my & Eric's side my cell phone rang off the hook. Apparently (but not surprisingly) my mom got drunk and got into a huge fight with my sisters. A hole in the door and a phone call to the cops later, the girls are back at their dad's and everyone is calling me. I talked to my sister Ashlee first and she assumed they were not invited to my house Sunday anymore. I politely told her that if they can't get along then no one is coming to our house on Sunday. I didn't want to be in the middle of anything. I tried calling my mom to let her know the dinner for Sunday was cancelled, but no one answered, not even voicemail. Finally she called me back (drunk). Eric answered the phone and she called him Tim, that was from left field. More or less our converation went as follows

Me: We aren't having a dinner tomorrow now since no one can get along
Mom: "Oh, whatever" (in a drunken stupor) You've apparently already talked to the girls
Me: Yes and I didn't want to hear either side.
Mom: "Oh, whatever"
Me: (Ready to burst out laughing) "You know what, you are drunk and I'm done talking"
Mom: "Oh, whatever" CLICK.

I'm sure I've left out some stuff, but as you can see, that was the most important and highlight of the conversation. Oh and before I went to bed, she called again, but I didn't answer. I did however get this voicemail message:

"Erica, this is mom, when you talk to the girls tell them I said Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for nothing"

My reply: "Oh, whatever!"

Needless to say Sunday we didn't do much. I cut up the leftover turkey and made some lunches for this week. I made some cookies, which sorta flopped b/c I used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" sticks instead of real butter/margarine. We went to Lowe's to get the pull chains for our ceiling fan and Target for a few odds and ends. I tried cooking Turkey A La King, but my sauce wouldn't thicken while Eric worked outside finishing up putting up the rest of the lights. We had dinner and watch "The Terminal". It was a pretty funny movie.

What a weekend. I'm glad that's over. I hope Christmas is better on my mom's side otherwise I'll see them after the first of the year! ha ha

No comments: