Wednesday, November 30, 2005

RE Update

Of course they were running behind, so we waited for a good 30-40 minutes. While waiting we decided that this board of baby pics must be success rates for Dr. H. So while we waited I counted...There were 58 pics total. Of those 17 were obvious multiples. Oh and the waiting room was also shared with all those pregnant ladies going in to get bloodwork and/or ultrasounds. I told Eric I didn't think that was quite appropriate. Anyway...

Finally we were called in. The nurse (I'm fairly certain she's the doc's wife) went over my history. I told her about the thyroid test and the normal results. She asked me about my prolactin being high and I said I knew nothing about it. Apparently when they did tested my progesterone in 3/04 it was high, but said it was back down to normal in 3/05 when they checked it again. I didn't even know they checked it. Surprise. The weird thing is they are supposed to check it on CD3, so I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Who knows?! She said the doc would be in shortly.

Dr. H came in and made a comment to the effect of us wanting to get pregnant. Yea, do you think we'd be here if we didn't. I just said, "Yea that about sums it up, we want to have a baby." He went over my history a bit. He said he has a solution for us. I asked him if he considered me unexplained. He said yes, but that I was also in the endometriosis category since I did have it even though it was mild. Basically his solution for us is to do Injectibles with an IUI. I would be monitored here in my hometown clinic. They would do all of the bloodwork and ultrasounds. I would do those first thing in the mornings and then his nurse would call me the same afternoon with the results and if I need to adjust the injections. I would travel to his clinic (about 1 hour away) to get "inseminated". He gives this a 20% success rate, which we thought was pretty low, but when you consider straight trying at 2% per cycle and clomid at 4% per cycle, that 20% doesn't sound as bad. Of course our biggest concern is $$$. We have a tentative plan in place, but we won't be able to start our first cycle for about 6 months it looks like. Unless of course we win the lottery (thanks for the idea Jen).

Dr. H said he would only do 2 at most Injectible/IUI cycles. If those didn't work we'd go on to IVF. He didn't see any point in wasting money on them if they didn't work the first 2 times.

So where do we stand right now? Well, we now go into think of anything you can to get money mode and wait til we get it to call them to set up my cycle.

I know I'm forgetting something so feel free to ask me questions either here in the comments or e-mail me. :D

At least there is something on the horizon for us. It's not over yet!

5 comments:

Mrs. T said...

We started trying in August 03. I had my yearly in December 03 and we told him then that we were trying, etc. In March we finally got some tests done and everything proceeded from there. I switched docs in March of this year. A list of my stats, tests & results are in the sidebar.

P.S.
I would have e-mailed you back, but don't have your e-mail address. :D

April said...

Did he say what types of injectibles you would be on? Not to be nosy, and if you don't feel comfortable discussing it - I certainly understand but is it the cost of injectibles that would set you back a bit schedule wise?

Just curious, because I've heard of some various ways to get them at reduced cost.

(Sheesh - I sort of sound like a drug pusher there)

Mrs. T said...

Dr. H gave me a list of all the possible injectibles I could go on, but wouldn't decide exactly which one until a few weeks before I call to say I'm starting. Basically, I call a few weeks before I'm expected to start my period and they will go over a training session on how to give myself (or receive from Eric) shots. At that time they will decide which injectibles I will go on, give me prescriptions, etc.

Yes, the cost of the injectibles alone is around $1000, bloodwork and u/s, etc fees around $1700 and the IUI itself is around $300 according to Dr. H. In the paperwork they gave me it said to be sure to talk to the nurse about where to get them the cheapest. Please fill me in on what you know about them, too! I'd love to know if I can get them even cheaper!

cat said...

Is gonal-f one of the injectibles? Let me know. As well did they also test husband for any male fertility issues? Some doctors are lax on this. You may have already had it done but if not it's important to rule it out before spending a lot of money assuming all the issues are yours.

As well, does your insurance company pay for anything. My insurance would not pay for IUI or for IVF but would pay for everything up to ovulation induction. Meaning all the monitoring and drugs. It's a good idea to call them and make sure they don't or won't cover anything. Sometime for a bit more money a month you can add these services as well and it might be easier than paying out of pocket. Insurance companies work for US and they want your business. Use that as leverage if you can.

Email me if you have any questions.

Mrs. T said...

Yes, Gonal-f was one of them, as was met. There were several on there. They have tested my husband and he is great. It figures it would be all me. 8-l

My insurance pays $500 (LIFETIME) towards the diagnosis of IF, $0 for treatment (Drugs, IUI, IVF, Nothing). I've called several times asking questions several different ways, always getting the same answer. Ugh!