Monday, November 07, 2005

Weekend

My weekend was only so-so. Friday I got off work early and we headed south to see Uncle John. He was still at home b/c the hospital was apparently full, so they were on a wait list. We visited with them for about an hour. It was so sad to see him like that and I feel so bad for my aunt, who is handling things as best as she can. We left there and went to dinner with my grandparents. We had a nice dinner and visit with them. On our way back home we stopped to see Uncle John one more time, not knowing if this would be the last time we saw him alive or not. Eric & I had a good talk on the way home. If there is one thing this year has taught us it's to enjoy the time we have b/c you never know what tomorrow brings.

Saturday we got up about 5:30 am and I took Eric to the bar for breakfast club. I ran back home and cleaned up then headed down to C'ville. I met my mom and grams and we went around to all of the flower shop open houses. It was a good time, but a little tense, too. My mom is still not doing very good and it's hard for me to be around her sometimes. She's not getting any better. Period. I started getting a headache around noon so we headed to lunch w/ my great gramps. It was nice visiting with him and it was nice of him to get out of the house for a bit. He's 88. Later we were talking and grams told me that great gramps goal was to make it to his 90th birthday. I think he'll make it. After lunch we dropped gramps back off and visited a couple other shops before we departed to head home.

After I got home my head was still killing me, so I spent the entire evening on the couch sleeping and watching TV. Eric woke me up around midnight and we both went to bed.

Sunday we got up and got ready and headed back down to C'ville to see Uncle John again. He got admitted to the hospital Saturday evening, so that's where we went. We ended up spending about 2 1/2 hours with him. It was nice. His mind is so sharp, but his body is just failing him. He's had 2 strokes and his speech isn't very good. He mumbles and it's hard to understand him. Everytime he would talk, my aunt would have to have him repeat is several times. He finally got annoyed with it and in a quite clear voice told her she needed to get her hearing checked or her ears cleaned. He had us rolling at times.

On our way out of the hospital we ran into a girl I went to school with. It was so good seeing her and hopefully we get together sometime soon. Sometimes I'm leery about going back to my stomping grounds for fear of running into old classmates, but I was certainly glad I ran into her.

On our way back home, we took a jaunt to Don Pablo's for dinner and then Target. Let's just say Eric is working hard to outdo our neighbors christmas decorations. I can't wait to start putting stuff up. I think we might start w/ the decorations Thanksgiving day unless something gets scheduled between now and then. Then the Sunday after we will go get our tree. I'm so excited.

After we got home we had a pretty lazy evening watching TV and relaxing.

No comments: