Thursday, April 21, 2005

I'm so happy I could jump up and down...

...and I did!

Yes, my doctors appointment today w/ Dr. S went spectacular! First off, we knew right away that we liked him just by his demeanor. I'm not sure exactly why, but we just knew. He became a wealth of information by the end! When he came in he asked the normal questions... How old are you? (26/30) How long TTC? (Almost 2 yrs) Any health problems w/ us? (no) Any w/ immediate family? (no) etc., etc. I had taken the list of fertility stats with me, but I didn't even have to break them out and give him my history. He had skimmed through my chart already (good doctor) and we started going over those stats that were in my chart. Here is what he told us. Mind you all I ever heard was normal, normal, normal. NO NUMBERS, NO ANYHTING, EXCEPT NORMAL!

- Progesterone March 2004 - 4.9 - This is on the low side (Very interesting to know since I was told it was normal)
- Progesterone March 2005 - 11.7 - Normal Range
- Male Factor - 151 Million - Good
- 50% Motility - Good
- Shape of the Guys - Good

When he started rattling all that stuff I knew he was the doctor for me! I like information. He asked me about my cycles and I explained that I had done the temping thing and he actually seemed impressed that I had control over my cycles. (Pats self on back.) I told him it seemed pretty obvious when I was ovualting and my cycles are VERY regular. In fact, I had just O'd ealier this week. I asked him about CM b/c I had wondered about it, but he didn't seem concerned either. He was more concerned with the fact that I had had Endo. Hmm... I remember I was too some time back, huh, but Dr. Baldy told me not to worry about it "It was a mild case". Anyway, Dr. S said that even though my endo was mild when I had the lap in 2000 I was on BC, so that could have supressed it. Very interesting. There is a chance that since I'm not on BC (for about 2 yrs) and it's been 5 years since the Lap, that it may have recurred. We talked a bit more. He gave us some statistics and was very positive that we would get pregnant. When and how was the unexplained question. We do fall into the "unexplained infertility" category, which we already knew. He asked us how we'd like to proceed and gave us 3 options.

1) Keep trying as we are & use OPKs
2) Laparoscopy
3) IUI w/ Stimulation (Clomid or injectibles)

He said that w/ the IUI he would refer us on to an RE and also said that in his opinion the first thing they would do was to do a Lap.

We explained we were done "just trying" like we have been and wanted to go forward with the Lap. Interestingly enough he wanted to time it right after my period and right before ovulation. (Dr. Baldy didn't even mention timing...) So, I should here back tomorrow from their office, but I go in sometime between May 9-12 to have my Lap. I asked what would happen after the Lap since Dr. Baldy has said Clomid for 3 months then 3 months of clomid and IUI and Dr. S said it basically depended on what the found. If they found endo, they'd clean it up and we'd try for a few months, then if still no conception we could try Clomid for a few months. If they didn't find anything then there might be more to it and he'd probably refer me on.

So anyway, I feel very good about this visit and will know tomorrow the exact date I am having my Lap. At least I'm getting some relief...

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yeah! Doing the lap in May could maybe speed up the process too. One less month to wait around. Unless you just got pregnant, that is....

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful news!! Isn't it great to have a doctor that really wants to help? I know I felt better when I finally found a doctor that I liked. May isn't that far away.... :)

Lisa said...

I'm so happy you finally have a doctor now who is going to take this seriously & help you. Please know that my prayers & thoughts have always been with you and will continue to be!