Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Laparoscopy, Endo, Adhesions

The word laparoscopy comes from the Greek words that mean "look into the abdomen." A small laparoscope is a small telescope that is inserted into the abdomen through a small incision normally in the belly button. It brings light into the abdomen so the doctor can see inside. I will be going in for diagnostic laparoscopy, but can turn into operative laparoscopy depending on what they find once they get inside.

Endometriosis - Tissue like endometrium (the lining of the uterus) sometimes grows in places outside of the uterus. The tissue bleeds every month, as with the mentrual cycle. I can cause pain, scar tissue, and infertility. One way to diagnosis it is through laparoscopy and can also be treated though such.

Adhesions - Sometimes tissues in the abdomen stick together and form scar tissue. This can happen b/c of infection, endo, or surgery. I could have this from my past surgery or current endo if I have it again.

My mom had a severe case of both of these. So bad that severeral of her organs were also stuck together like cement.

The Procedure
You will obviously be put under anesthesia. After the anesthesia takes affect, a small cut is made below or inside the navel. A gas, such as carbon dioxide or nitrous oxide, is usually put into the abdomen. The gas swells the abdomen so the pelvic reproductive organs can be seen more clearly.

You body will be tilted slightly with your feet raised higher than your head. This shifts some of the abdominal organs toward the chest and out of the way.

The laparoscope is placed through the cut. Another cut is often made at the bikini line. Through this cut, an instrument is used to move the organs into view. One to four small cuts may be made, 1/4-1/2 inch wide. I device called the uterine manipulator may be placed in the uterus through the hoo-haa to move the uterus during the procedure.

Usually, the laparoscope projects images of the surgery onto a television screen. This makes the image larger and easier for the doctor to see. These images cn be photographed for later viewing.

After the procedure, the instruments are removed and the gas is released. (Really!) The cuts are closed and stitched up and you are sent to recovery.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I always wondered what exactly a lap was and what they do, so thanks for the description. When are you scheduled to go in? I hope you don't have much pain afterwards!

Unknown said...

I've not looked at your site at all and I just found it looking for a detailed explanation of laparoscopy. However, I had my thyroid removed last year and have since become pretty knowledgeable about the reality of thyroid numbers. Your T4, although a pretty useless test, indicates to me that your T3 might be low (which is the hormone you actually utilize). You might want to check out stopthethyroidmadness.com for more information. I'm on the fertility quest too and I learned quite a bit from there. Good luck to you and disregard if you are already pursuing this pathway.