Tuesday, May 24, 2005

TTC Scoop

We didn't get any BD-ing in this entire month until last night. Obviously this month is totally out. We had planned on getting some in during our vacation, but we ended up sleeping in the living room on the pull-out couch. Boo hoo!

Today I had my 2-week post-op appointment. I was floored. When we went in the nurse asked me to undress from the waist down. I was shocked and she said that he just wanted to check my stitches. When he came in he asked me if I had had any problems and I told him about getting sick on that Thursday and the lump on Friday. He said some people have that reaction to that pain medicine and the lump was probably an irritation to my lymph since that was also the hand my IV was in. The lump is gone now (lasted about a week). He explained the pics to me a little then said my most fertile time is going to be 1-6 months post surgery, which we already knew. He had initially told Eric immediately after my surgery that he didn't think drugs were necessary, but today he decided to put me on Clomid a few months and then if I still didn't get pregnant he was going to refer me on. I was a little shocked and all I could think to ask was what are teh side effects? Virtually none especially since it will be only a few months. What are the chances of multiples? 5% that's not much different than twins w/ no drugs and twins are pretty common. Also he's not had more than 2 births w/ anyone he's prescribed it to. You normally see more than 2 when you get into injections.

So AF should come sometime next week assuming she's not messed up from the Lap. I expect her around Tues-Wed timeframe. Once she arrives I have to call the doc and set up bloodwork around Day 22-23. I will take Clomid Days 3-8. Should Ovulate Day 13-17. Blookwork Day 22-23. Expect next period Day 29-30. Wow!

Let's look at some pros and cons...

Pro - My doc does not beat around the bush!
Con - He's only giving me 2-3 Months!

Pro - I've lost some 12.5 pounds pre-pregnancy. (yay)
Con - I would have liked to lose another 5-10. (but that's not a huge deal)

Con - It's about $150 (per month)
Pro - I guess it could be worse, good thing we paid some of our debt off recently & I can hit my mom who really wants a grandbaby up. hee hee

Pro - We paid off several bills recently so we are better off financially
Con - We still have some bills out there.

Pro - I could very well be pregnant in a month!
Con - None

Pro - I know how to exercise & eat right, so I can keep it up while pregnant!
Con - None

Con - It's through pills and this means trying naturally is being given up
Pro - Who cares about trying naturally as long as I get pregnant!

Right now I'm in a bit of shock and I think Eric is, too. I don't necessarily think it's bad thing to start clomid, in fact, I'm glad he's not screwing around w/ my precious time like the old butt-head. I guess mostly we were not expecting this when we went in today and it threw us both off guard a bit. I'll post tomorrow about more of my feelings after they settle in a bit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, good luck with the clomid. Maybe it's just what you need? And after 2 years of trying....it's about time the doctors take some action!! :)

QueenBee said...

HI! I tried clomid for only once cycle a few years ago - just wanted to give you a heads up on the side affects. Some women experience none, the rest experience wild mood swings. My head spun around at least twice and my husband said if we did clomid again he'd make a padded room for me to live in. ha. Just FYI. Also, for expenses, try ordering your meds from www.ivfmeds.com - they are in london, but you can fax your prescription to them and they are much cheaper than in the states. I don't know if that is true with the clomid, but if you ever have to take shots - definitely order through them, saved us about $500. Anyway, best of luck to you - hang in there!