Thursday, September 22, 2005

4 Years Ago Today...

I met my husband. It seems like forever ago really when you think about it. I thought I'd share a little bit about our meeting and first date.

A friend of mine, Deb, asked me at work on Friday if I'd be interested in going to a 9/11 benefit this bar on Saturday 9/22. I had a wedding to go to on Saturday, but it was in the early afternoon, so I told her I'd call after the wedding and let her know.

Saturday arrived and I went to the wedding. It was my cousin, who also happened to graduate with me so I saw several of those dreaded HS classmates. I went to the reception for a little bit, but thanked god when we finally left. I was feeling "less than adequate" about myself when I left. I called Deb on my way home and told her I wasn't feeling up to it, but thankfully she convinced me otherwise. She has a way of doing this. So I went home, freshened up and went to her house. We proceeded to become under the influence (which is one of the few and definitely the last time I was under that influence, btw) and met up with another lady. At the bar we paid our admission/cover and had a few drinks and danced. It was pretty lame, but again, it didn't matter too much b/c I was in my own little world. hee hee Anyway, I was oblivious to the fact that this guy, now know as Eric, was eyeing me. Reason being I thought he was the bar owner and I had heard too many nasty stories about him. Ugh! I don't think you know what his occupation is, but let's just say he was running this little 9/11 benefit and was DJing and throwing out T-shirts and stuff. So he worked his little magic buy giving us some T-shirts to get my attention when the other 2 ladies went for drink refills while I watched our seats. We ended up chatting and the next time he went up to the stage to do something he called me up to draw this number out of a hat for a raffle they were doing. After that he followed me around like a lost puppy (I'm sure he'll deny that). Later in the evening something was brought up about drinking. I was floored when I found out he was not much of a drinker and was drinking WATER of all things to drink at the bar. I knew then that he was different. At the end of the night he took my number and said he'd call me and we parted ways.

MANY days passed. I had given up after about Wednesday. I believe he called me Friday and said he had tickets to an F-1 race and wanted to know if I wanted to go. I love racing and was thrilled at the chance b/c I'd never been to the F-1 race, but I group up around drag racing my whole life. Plus, that was a very impressive first date, let me tell ya!

He picked me up Sunday morning, we stopped at Subway to grab subs and headed to the track. After we found our seats we ate lunch and watched the race and chatted. On our way home he wanted to stop and get dinner. I believe we stopped at this mexican place and it was yummy. After that he decided we should play a round of putt-putt golf. About 1/2 way through the holes, I decided it would be ok to go on at least one more date with this guy. Oh yea and I was losing. So we made this little wager that however many strokes he beat me by, that was the number of more dates he had to take me on. :D On our way home we stopped at his apartment and I met his dogs (Krissy & Kodi) and then he took me home.

The rest is obvious!

2 comments:

April said...

I was wondering how the two of you met, after you had posted before that you met him at a 9/11 benefit.

What a fun story...

Anonymous said...

So how many strokes did he end up getting?

Very cute story. I had also wondered how you two met!