Sunday, April 09, 2006

CD 15 - The Story

So we got up at 5:15 this morning and headed down. I showered last night so I wouldn't have to this morning. :D We got there about 7:00, so we headed to the 2nd floor where I was supposed to check in. The lab didn't open until 7:30, so Eric waited with me. Finally around 7:15 a nurse came by and said she'd be with us shortly. Eric decided to go ahead and head upstairs to "collect". A few minutes later the nurse came back and got me. They took me back to my own little room. I got a warm gown and blanket and laid back on the bed. They came in and started taking my vitals. Another nurse came in and starting working on my IV. I was cold and hadn't had any water, so my veins were not easy to find. They checked each arm twice and finally the nurse went back and got a really warm blanket and put on my arm to get the blood flowing. She said she'd only stick twice and then leave it for the anesthesialogist. This nurse rocked though and found one and got it. It didn't hurt a bit.

Eric came back down and we talked while we were waiting. At one point I got really mad at him because he took a big swig of water and swished it around in his mouth. I just sat there and couldn't believe it. He realized as soon as he swallowed (probably by the look on my face) what he had done and immediately apologized and felt horrible. hee hee I was dying for some water!

Next the biologist came in and went over a few things. I asked what Eric's sperm count was and she said the measured it different for this, but that he had 63 million. Eric asked what they want and she said 20 million, so he was really excited about that. Next Dr. B came in and we chatted for him a little while. Finally the anesthesialogist came in and went over some stuff. He said he'd give me a couple "martini's" first and make me a little funny to relax me before we got started. We waited a little while longer and finally right around 8:30 they took me back.

When we got back there they introduced everyone and starting getting me ready. The anesthesialogist gave me my two martinis right after I got in there. They put my legs up in stirrups that were actually 1/2 boots. They put both my arms straight out on boards and strapped me down. He asked me how I was feeling and I said pretty good. He hooked up my heart monitors and then gave me two more martinis. That made me feel quite nice. Shortly after that I fell asleep.

I woke up and was quite chatty. They only put you under twilight and let me say I am a huge fan of that. Apparently I told Eric about going in there twice, but that's ok. When I was waking up Dr. B had come in and that's when he told us about the 20 eggs. I was in shock. I had told Eric before going in my goal was 15. I asked him a few times if he really said 20. Yep. I said 2-0? Yep. Eric said I kept saying "F*ing Cool". I have no idea why though. ha ha ha We are trying to cut that F-word out of our vocabulary. They let us go at 10 and we were on our way home. I did stop at the little machine and get some hot chocolate on my way out of the hospital though. :D We stopped and grabbed breakfast and headed home.

I still feel bloated and a little sore, but overall I'm doing great. I took one pain pill when I got up home and went to bed. Apparently I was exhausted because I slept until 4. Eric is out hunting down some dinner for us now. I'm starving and plan to eat, take another pain pill and watch some TV.

To answer questions about the device:
The device is what they put the eggs (1-10), sperm and media in. It's inside me where it will stay until Wednesday, transfer day. The device is actually what the study is. I know I talked about it somewhere, but can't remember where or I'd link.

The other eggs (11-20) will be fertilized via dropping sperm on them in a the dish. They will call us tomorrow with the fertilization on those and freeze whatever any that fertilized. They will only transfer the ones from the device back in me.

Hope that helps!

6 comments:

VJ said...

Yahoo!!!I am very excited for you! =)

Vicki

YouGuysKnow said...

AHHHH! thank you so much for answering my question. that is SOOO f*ing cool (sorry, i just can't eliminate that word ;) about the device inside you incubating! i want to know more about it and how it works. amazing. wish i could be in this study too.

thanks for posting your retrieval story. loed reading the details. :) i will be checking back in often to find out about fertilization and other interesting happenings! continued great luck to you!

oh gosh... another hilarious word verification:
vgbowu

i guess your vagina can take a bow, you!

LOL!!!!!

Lisa said...

Woohoo!!!!! How awesome! Now, take it easy!

Mel said...

I think what you are doing is so great. I hope that the revelations of the study you are participaing in will help many IF out in the future.

I just read much of your history, and I have to commend you on your wonderful optimisim. You always keep it positive and upbeat. I think that this is so wonderful. I wish you the best of luck in this cycle!

Milenka said...

It's going to be a long 2 weeks, for goodness sake!

soralis said...

20 eggs is great! The device thing sounds cool!

Take care and good luck