Thursday, April 13, 2006

CD 19

Have you missed me? I'm finally back at least long enough to post a bit...

So yesterday on CD 18 we had our transfer. As my dear husband said we were up way before the birds and on the road. I slept horribly the night before. I had major heart burn and I'm sure a lot of it was nerves, too. I couldn't wait for the alarm to go off. I had this sensation of throwing up all the way to Indy (1 hour) and I was so scared to take my valium b/c I thought for sure it would come back up. When we got there I took it. As soon as we got in we bee-lined it for the vending machines and got some animal crackers. My life saver! I munched on them up to the second floor and then had Eric get me some complimentary hot chocolate. Then it hit me...the valium that is. I started feeling great! There was another girl already there who we had seen before, so we knew she was there for the same thing. I wanted to go wish her luck, but Eric wouldn't let me. Finally the nurse came to get me (first) and we headed back. As I stood up I nearly spilt my hot chocolate and the nurse chuckled that the valium must be kicking in. I swear I felt drunk.

After we got back to my room I changed into a warm gown and laid on the bed and they took my vitals. They said they would be paging Dr. W for my acupuncture and she'd be in shortly. The wait seemed like forever, but she finally arrived. She put 13 tiny needles in my and I laid there for 20 minutes and tried to focus on breathing and relaxing. After the 20 minutes another nurse came in and took the needles out. Shortly thereafter Dr. B came in. I asked him about this enormous amount of discharge that developed on Tuesday and he said it wasn't anything abnormal and it would go away after today. I was satisfied. Next a nurse came in and said they were ready to go. I got to walk down the the "IVF Transfer" room. It was dimly lit and I sat down on the table. There were 2 nurses in there and then another door that opened to another room, which we realized was the lab. As soon as I sat down Dr. B started getting ready and told me that removing the diaphram would be the worst part and OMG was he right!! It was horrible. AFter that was done they said it would take about 15 minutes before the transfer. The lab would spin the device a few times and then see what was inside.

The wait seemed like a long time. We made small talk, but everyone knew we were all just waiting for the results... Finally one of the nurses peaked around the corner and said it looked like it wouldn't much longer. Then we heard the others started getting really excited. We thought to ourselves that it must be good news. Dr. B came in and said that 7 of the 10 inside fertilized and they would be transfering a 9 cell and a 13 cell back into me. I thought those were huge numbers from what I read and they confirmed that they were great. While waiting on stuff the frenchman who developed the device even came in and chatted with us saying I had beautiful embryos. I was so proud and happy! And we were ecstatic to have even met this man. He was there on the day of our retrieval, too, but we didn't meet him then.

Next I got to slide back down in preparation for the transfer. I was a nervous wreck. I'm pretty sure the valium was wearing off. Dr. B "washed" my cervic and whatever else he had to do before transfer and then VOILA....

Embryos in my Uterus

This pickture was taken as soon as they transferred the embryos into me. It's the little white glob that contains the 2 embryos. I sat there in shock for a minute. It was almost surreal yet I was on cloud nine. After that Dr. B shock our hands and we thanked both him and the frenchman. The nurse said I could go to the bathroom now and on our way out they gave us this picture of our embryos.

Embryos 9c &13c

The biologist stopped us, too and said that they would be cryo-ing some today. (Eric heard 6 and I heard 4) and they would watch the remainder and call us in a few days with those results.

I, of course, headed straight for the bathroom and that was a relief. After we got back to the room they took my vitals again and my b/p was up a bit, but that was normal. Then we waited on Dr. W to come down and do the acupuncture again. After she put the needles in this time I couldn't relax and concentrate on breathing. I was just too excited! I think it still served its purpose though. After the 20 minutes the nurse came in and removed the needles, we got dressed, and headed home. Well, we made a stop at McD's for breakfast then headed home.

Once we got home I took a nice long nap and spent yesterday in bed. I was getting really restless last night though. Today has been worse. I got up this morning around 11 and took a shower. Then relaxed on the couch. Then I made mac & cheese while Eric made us some turkey sandwiches. I watched a movie and now I'm updating. I plan to spend the rest of the evening on the couch though. That's all for today. It's back to work tomorrow to the job I will be leaving one week from tomorrow. Hooray!! I'll be catching up on blogs and back in touch with the world.

And as Eric said thank you all for your abundance of comments and support! We love it and are so thankful for each and every one of you! You are great friends even if we've never met some (most) of you!!!

9 comments:

YouGuysKnow said...

thanks for the details and the super embie pix!! that is so cool about the device. please post about how many other embies got to cryo stage.

well... onward now! enjoy your resting time and the last week of your work. hopefully it will be extremely distracting!

hugs :)

Anonymous said...

Look at those beautiful embies!! Woo-hoo!!

Sounds like you had a really positive experience. So, so happy for you!

Get your rest! :)

soralis said...

Wow 9 and 13 cell that is awesome!
Good luck!!!!

Milenka said...

:-) I'm just feeling all positive and happy for you two.

Anonymous said...

How incredible! Those photos are amazing! Just think that if all goes well you can show your child what he/she looked like! Very cool.

Crystal said...

I am so excited for the two of you. I'll be reading to get the updates as you provide them. How soon after the transfer are you allowed to take a pregnancy test again? I thought you mentioned it but don't remember. Good luck!!

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

It looks like you transferred some great embryos! That's great!!

Good luck in your 2ww!

Kitten said...

They are the cutest embies I've ever seen. Absolutely precious! Hang in there and keep up the positive attitude.

Miss you!!!!

Jamie said...

I know, I am a little slow. I searched for "Dr. B IVF" and found this post on your blog. I had my transfer with him yesterday and I also felt like I was going to be sick most of the way to Indy. I wonder what causes that?