Sunday, October 31, 2004

Sister K

I woke up yesterday (Saturday) morning to a message on my voicemail from my sister K saying to call her b/c they had something to tell us. I instantly knew...... She was pregnant. This is the sister who has competed with me her entire life. The same one who started trying to get pregnant (before she was married) only when she find out we were trying. I heard a while back that she was seeing a fertility doc and that they were supposed to do IVF in September, so essentially I had been waiting on this call.

After that message, well, I can't even explain how I felt. I was mad and sad (you saw my post Friday) and hurt and probably every emotion possible. I felt very anxious, too. So instead of calling her back I turned my cell phone off and called my cousin. She and Eric made me feel much better of course, but I still felt like shit. So, what else to do, but dyed my hair! ha

Our home phone rang early afternoon probably around 2 ish. It was her. I just let it ring. I guess I just didn't want to hear what I already knew. It hurt so damn bad. So I did a few other things, then I called her.

When she answered she asked if they could come over. This coming from the same person whose never been here and we've lived here a whole year. She only came to our old house 2-3 times. Anyway, I said yes, but we had to leave by 6:00 to go to a Halloween party. They thought they'd be here between 5-5:30. When I asked her what was going on, she said she'd just talk to us when she got here.

After I got off the phone my emotions turned more into anger. She now wants to come see our house b/c it is benefiting her in some way. We were just sure she was going to throw it in my face (remember the competition thing). We also knew that Eric would get into it with them and we'd have to end up asking them to leave. You can only imagine.

Anyway, they arrived and we showed them around the house. A comment about liquor was made and that's when the ball was dropped. She of course said she wouldn't be doing any of "that" for a while now and I said oh, you must be pregnant. Yep, I hit the nail on the head. So I asked if it was through IVF and she told me no. I guess I sorta melted down a bit then b/c I know her history and I really did think of it as sort of a miracle. Let me tell you now. She had a tumor on her ovary when she was young 13-14 maybe. They ended up having take the ovary leaving her with only one. Then when she started trying, she went to the doctor and they ended up doing an HSG and they said she probably wouldn't have kids on her own b/c her tube was partially blocked (or at least that's what she told everyone). I will say K loves kids and despite being a "small-town" mom she will probably be a good one. She thinks she's around 2 months.

Anyway, after they left we felt a little better. It still hurts us and I felt sorta numb the rest of the evening. I feel a little better today. I suppose it's more of a mixture of everything than just her news though. I am happy for them and I hope they did it for the right reasons and not just to "beat" us. Guess there's no turning back though now, huh?

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm so sorry. I know how much this has to hurt you. I'll send you a proper e-mail tomorrow, but I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you.

And about the previous post...I totally understand how you feel and would think it was a little weird if you didn't have those feelings. I know you are happy for me and you better believe when your time is here I'll 100% be there for you too.

Here's a big hug from Ohio. I'll give you a real one next week.