Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Thunder & Lightning & Wind, Oh My!

We got a really bad storm last night and I'm not normally scared of storms, but after finding out 2 houses in our addition have been hit by lightning, it sorta freaks me out a bit. Our black dog, Kodi, is petrified, so I spent most of the time during the storm holding her and comforting her. Of course, Godiva got extremely jealous and had to lay on me to get close to me so she could get attention, too. Nothing like having 2 adults and 2 dogs (50 lbs & 80 lbs) in our full size bed. :) We need a bigger bed desparately!

Anyway, when we got up this morning we have tons of sticks to pick up in our backyard, so I think that's what I'll do this evening before we take Godiva to school.

Speaking of Godiva's school, I haven't told you about that yet. After our major location dilemma we went back for her actual "First Class". It started out ok, but she seemed to not give Godiva a break (or me). This bothered me, but I didn't think too much of it. I wasn't a big fan of their training methods either. They train based on constant reward. Well, that is not how our other dogs have been trained. What happens when you take the reward away? Obviously she is only doing what you ask for the reward. She's a big enough dog, she will not be obese. I was getting frustrated after about 40 minutes b/c it seemed like she was really picking up both Godiva and me. Apparently Godiva was feeling the same way b/c she started being a pistol and chewing on her leash. The lady asked me if we have ever tried bitter apple. Yes as a matter of fact, we have, and she likes it. The lady grabs this bottle and squirts a bunch in Godiva's mouth and tells me obviously she doesn't. Eric & I were both livid. She kept putting more on Godiva's mouth and Godiva was gagging and choking and backing away. I was hoping she would bite the bitch, b/c I would have gladly let her. After this I was done for the evening. We did a couple other things and babied Godiva and left with a look of anger on our faces. We were not happy. It's no different than disciplining someone else's child. We discipline our own animals/children. We aren't very happy with this school and Eric would rather not go back, but I intend on letting them know this is not what we expected. We don't care if she sits on our left or right. We aren't training Godiva to be in dog shows. Seriously! We just want some basics. We have learned a few things that we do use with Godiva, but she's not perfect, nor do we expect her to be. She just needs to learn a few manners. We'll see how tonight goes, but if she pisses me off again, we are definitely done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had storms last night as well (in MN). Some of it was around 6:30 but later it was worse. I was reading my book in bed and I heard what sounded like a big plane flying over us. That's not normal because we are far away from a major airport. I got up to look outside because it just kept making noise. I looked out the window and it was stormy with thunder and lightening outside. It was around 11:00 at night but thankfully it only lasted for about a half-hour. It was moving east so maybe you got some of that storm?

Sorry doggy school isn't going well. Some of those dog trainers are wacked-out, obsessive people. Hopefully they'll straighten up, otherwise you should find a trainer that is more in line with your style to train Godiva. Hope it goes better tonight!